9 Ways to Pretend You’re Good at Cooking
When at a friend’s house to help out or something- especially when they don’t have too much hope for you.
1) Learn basic knife skills. Like actually. I can’t begin to tell you how many people can’t cut things properly. In fact, just holding a knife correctly will make you seem 93.2% better.
2) Salt your water. Do it. Really.
3) Don’t insist on following a recipe exactly. If someone wants to swap out half and half for coconut milk, let them do it if you’re totally okay with the taste.
4) Clean up when it’s obvious that the pot does not need to be watched/stirred constantly.
5) Remember, generally things in a dish are supposed to be about the same shape and size. Don’t dice peppers and slice onions.
6) Add oil to pans and stuff. ._.
7) When making soup, find any herbs and tie them together.
8) Figure out what a few basic terms mean. AKA: blanching, julienne, ect ect.
9) OH MY GODS JUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO DICE AN ONION. (and use a sharp knife, your eyes would thank you)